13th BRICS SUMMIT
The 13th BRICS Summit is going to be held under India’s Chairship in 2021. It will be the third time that India will be hosting the BRICS Summit after 2012 and 2016.
The theme for India’s Chairship is ‘BRICS @ 15: Intra-BRICS Cooperation for Continuity, Consolidation and Consensus’. As BRICS celebrates its 15th anniversary this year, we look back at the journey traversed thus far since the first meeting of BRIC Foreign Ministers on the margins of the UN General Assembly in New York in 2006, to review the achievements and contributions of BRICS to the global agenda and also to our national growth stories. It is a matter of great pride that BRICS has been a beacon of multilateralism based on equality, mutual respect and trust. The theme reflects our approach to strengthen the founding principles of BRICS cooperation based on continuity, consolidation and consensus.
As Chair, India will work on specific deliverables across all three pillars of intra-BRICS cooperation in 2021.
- Political and Security: To enhance cooperation and dialogue on issues of global and regional security, developments in the global political space for peace, security and prosperity. Our priorities under this pillar are:
- Reform of the Multilateral System
- Counter Terrorism Cooperation
- Economic and Financial:To promote economic growth and development for mutual prosperity through the expansion of intra-BRICS cooperation in sectors such as trade, agriculture, infrastructure, small and medium enterprises, energy and finance & banking. Recognizing the advantages of using technological and digital solutions for the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals in BRICS countries with a special focus on:
- Implementation of the BRICS Economic Partnership Strategy 2020-25.
- Operationalization of the BRICS Agriculture Research Platform.
- Cooperation on Disaster Resilience.
- Innovation Cooperation.
- Digital Health and Traditional Medicine.
- Cultural and People to People: To qualitatively enrich and enhance intra-BRICS people to people contacts in cultural, academic, youth, sports, business, through regular exchanges. Exchanges among Parliamentarians, young scientists etc. are also held.